How do you help keep your gorgeous new hair colour as rich and vibrant as the day you walked out of our salon door?
Our colour expert Leanne Russell shares her professional tips and tricks for preventing colour fade.
Choose colour specific hair products for longer results
I always use a colour-protecting shampoo and conditioner. They are specifically formulated to reduce colour fade and dryness, and do make a noticeable difference. I like Wella Professional Colour Brilliance range.
Water is the enemy of hair colour[ul style=’disc’]
- If you can, avoid washing your hair for a couple of days after your colour service.
- Even better, cut down where you can on washing frequency. A dry shampoo is a good stand-by for those days when it doesn’t matter too much. I like EIMI Dry Me.
- When you do wash it, turn the hot tap down and keep the water lukewarm. Heat makes colour fade faster – the hotter the water the quicker the colour loss.
- Avoid excessive rinsing in the shower too. After you’ve shampooed and conditioned, don’t tilt your head back and let the water just run over it for several minutes. It may be relaxing but it’s bad news for colour.
- Stay away from swimming pools and saunas for a week after your colour service too. Heat and chlorine cause colour fade and can give blonde shades a green tinge. Always have your colour topped up a week before your holiday, and not last minute, for this very reason.
Sun and heat fade your hair colour too[ul style=’disc’]
- Always apply a sun protection barrier product and wear a hat on in the sun whenever you can to prevent harmful UV rays fading colour and causing dryness.
- Do guard against heat damage. Before you reach for your straightening irons, hairdryer or curling tongs spray on a heat-protective product.
Leamington’s colour specialists…
“Thinking of having your hair coloured for the first time or changing the tones? We’re here to help and advise you,” says colour expert Leanne.
“You don’t have to make a drastic change – something as simple as adding a few highlights or washing a semi-permanent colour through your hair can make you look and feel so different. Why not book a complimentary colour consultation and we’ll chat through your hair condition, skin & eye tones and lifestyle to find the very best answer for you.”